Monday, August 13, 2007

List: Things to do after I finish work...

When I left school in 1988, I got a traineeship which meant I worked for the company full-time and they paid for me to go to uni part-time. I finished my degree in 93 and then for some reason that sounded like a good idea at the time, went back for Honours - still studying part-time & working full-time. I finished studying in 95. Pete & I also started our business in 94 or 95 - still working full-time and doing casual programming part-time. We kept that up until I went on maternity leave in 2002. I remember the "new millenium" ticking over - as we were both up programming at midnight 1999.... I also started teaching part-time at an adult community college in 2001 after I had my mid-life crisis. (First? I think I may now be having my 2nd lol)

Once Billy was about 3 months old, I started working from home again and the business has gradually built up to the extent it is now, where I have more work than time to do it, plus the teaching. This year I added in doing my Cert IV Training & Assessment (just in case I got bored lol).

Anyway my point is that for almost 20 years (eek!), there's always been something to do - either work or study. Taking time out to relax has meant putting other stuff off. I don't really have any hobbies other than reading and the internet. I'm going to find it really hard to not have work to do - but I'm really looking forward to it!

So I've come up with a list of things that I've been wanting to find time for to give myself some direction. Some of these things have been on my list for at least 10 years! In no particular order they are:

* organise digital photos on my computer
* organise printed photos (currently just in a big box)
* do jigsaws / puzzles
* re-organise office (tidy up books, set up ready for home-schooling)
* get a household cleaning routine (I don't want to be one of those people who are obsessed with housework - not that I can see that happening lol - but it needs more than the lick & a promise that it currently gets! Billy actually asked me who was coming to visit when I was sweeping the verandahs yesterday :S )
* make pasta
* research family history
* gardening
* learn Italian
* play with photography
* yoga

That should keep me occupied, and hopefully I'll learn to relax while I'm doing it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's great that you've constructed a list of things for YOU ~ I've researched alot of our family history, it's so interesting!

Lis said...

Great list! My hobb yis scrapbooking so I guess that incorporates two items on your list. I alos used to do yoga until my class kind of closed. Try a few differnt teachers/styles as they can all be very different. Glad to hear you are making "me time"
take care of you