Sunday, August 19, 2007

Aftermath of the Floods

It's been over 2 months since the storms & floods of June, and the aftermath continues. I know several people who are still displaced while their houses are being repaired, or who have moved back in even though they are still waiting on repairs. Many businesses are still closed, some permanently, especially in Wallsend which was worst hit. Maitland's New Year's Eve fireworks have been cancelled as the river bank is still too unstable.


I take a back road to drop Billy at preschool normally - it goes over a wonderful little ricketty bridge - it's only been re-opened for a few weeks, it took that long for the water to subside. I took my new camera and risked life & limb taking some photos on Thursday :) It breaks my heart every time I go over the bridge to see all of the debris and destruction of such a pretty area.

You can click on any of the photos for a larger view.



This sign is at least 10m above the bridge - the debris that has collected against the road sign shows how high the river got.


Looking downstream - the "clumps" in the tree are more debris washed downstream.


Yet more debris :) Looking upstream.



The far side of the river - the road was all silted up and still has sand piled up along the sides.



A cute pelican who decided to pose so I could play with the zoom lens :)


No comments: