Thursday, August 23, 2007

Finger food recipes..

Mini Quiche Recipe

This was the recipe I used for the mini quiches - it's great! http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/mini-quiche-recipe.html

Party Pie Recipe

Um, I didn't really have one as such. I boiled the mince (2kg), threw in some onion flakes (because I was out of onion), I think a bit of minced garlic, beef stock, tomato paste, salt & pepper. I think that was it - I just kept adding stuff til it tasted ok :) Then I reduced it down and thickened it with some flour.

The cases - I cut the bottom out of the frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, and the top out of puff pastry sheets. I used a muffin pan that wasn't very deep. Cooked at about 190 for 15 mins.

Meatballs

Ditto to above - 2 kg of mince, mixed with a bit of minced garlic, breadcrumbs, an egg, dried basil, salt & pepper. Mixed it all up in a BIG bowl lol, and shaped little cocktail size meatballs out of it. I cooked them on a tray I think for about 10-15 mins. I got away with a baking tray because they weren't very fatty, but if your mince was a bit fattier a baking dish would be better.

Sausage Rolls

Yes a real recipe lol. I think this was a Women's Weekly one originally.

6 sheets puff pastry
4 slices soft bread, crusts removed
3/4 cup hot water
1kg sausage meat
1 med onion, grated
1 med carrot, grated
mixed herbs to taste - I use about 1-2 tsp because I'm not a big fan of the taste
salet & pepper to taste
milk for glazing

1. Preheat oven to 220C. Soak bread in hot water for 5 minutes, squeeze out excess water & combine with meat, onion, carrot, herbs, salt & pepper. (This is a really messy part - you really need to get your hands in to mix properly!)
2. Cut pastry in half and sppon sausage mix down centre. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges firmly. Cut to size & glaze with milk. Bake 25 mins or until golden.

I cut each roll into 4 to make party size ones - you get 48 out of the recipe that way.

Enjoy :)

5 comments:

Susan said...

thank you, thank you, thank you :)

Kez said...

You're welcome :) I'll let you know how they freeze since that's where they all are now! I've frozen the sausage rolls before - it's just the quiche I'm a bit scared about.

lightening said...

Thanks for those recipes kez. You know, it's never occured to me to make my own party pies. Great idea though. I made my own mince for the first time yesterday - thinking I might need to become vegetarian cos it was a horrible job but has convinced me I don't ever want to buy mince preminced again.

You can buy frozen quiches so I'd assume they freeze okay.

Lis said...

Great recipes! I always make my own sausage rolls, they taste so much better than the store bought ones :)

Kez said...

lol Lightening - I agree it's not the nicest job, but it does make much nicer mince!

I agree Lisa - I used to make them & keep them in the freezer for a quick lunch. I haven't done it for ages, will have to start again. Is that a similar recipe to what you use?