Friday, November 11, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong..

but there appear to be only 6 weeks left until Xmas.  I'm honestly not sure how that happened - every year the days seem to accelerate in about October and the time just flies..

Looking at my calendar, most weekends are filled up until the end of the year already.  The weeks are starting to fill up with end-of-year parties and activities, plus those extras like getting the caravan serviced before we go away on holidays. 

I looked at my list of work yesterday - I have 4 customers that have said they want websites but haven't committed to them yet, one website that's underway plus general maintenance bits and pieces that pop up all the time.  Given that I can only work at most 10 hrs / week, I think I've reached the point where I have to start telling any new queries that I won't be available until January.  Knowing the way things tend to work, at least 3 of those potential customers are likely to suddenly decide they do want me to go ahead - and they want it done by Xmas.  Xmas seems to be this magical deadline that spurs everyone into action around this time every year!

We have two Xmas dinners at our house this year - Pete's family on the Sunday before Xmas, and mine on Xmas Day.  So two menus to be planned, food to be ordered, bought and cooked, a house to be cleaned, yard to be tidied etc. 

I'm actually well underway with Xmas shopping.  I've bought or ordered maybe a third of gifts, and know what I want for some of the others.  I'm really at a loss what to get Billy this year - I have a couple of ideas, but nothing really spectacular.  But then presents to wrap, cards to write...  I don't actually send that many cards anymore - one thing I've pared back.

So what about you?  Do you celebrate Xmas?  How are you going with preparations?

3 comments:

Suji said...

I'm preparing by trying not to think about it lol. We always slow down during Christmas and then I take forever to start back again!

Caz said...

ARGH you did it! You invoked the dreaded countdown! lol We have most of our gifts for the kids on layby, need to get a little something for the parents and our neice & nephew but we don't tend to go nuts so it should be easy.

We have the In laws out on xmas eve for a seafood dinner, which is always good fun. And the big day is just us usually.. nice & casual :)

Missy said...

AHHHHHHHH!!! I'm going to pretend I didn't see the math on this one. ;) I can not believe it's that close! Thanksgiving is only 11 days away here in the States, and once that happens, the rest of the year goes soooo fast!
We go to my parents in Iowa for the holiday...and somehow Tim is going to see the kids. Other than that, I have no plans. :)