Sunday, June 09, 2013

Grey Wolf Hike - and my new camera!

Yesterday Billy led his Grey Wolf hike at Mt Sugarloaf. He led 6 Cubs, various parents and the Cub leader successfully on the 2 hr hike (about 3 kms).

(And my new camera arrived so I finally have some better shots!)

I love this type of bush - the ferns and big rocks. Brings back great memories of hikes in my own childhood.


Firstly we went up to the Summit - as you can see it's quite steep.


The weather wasn't the best. In fact we had a shower of rain just after I took this photo. A bit of a difference to our practice hike last week.


We retraced our steps down from the summit, headed for the start of the Green Trail and stopped for morning tea. This little kookaburra decided to join us.


The green trail was much easier, winding its way through tall eucalypts.


I had to take this photo - the steps just look so inviting.


One of the parents who was with us is into geocaching. At one stage he took the kids off the beaten track to find a geocache.


Another gorgeous kookaburra joined us at the end of the hike when we stopped for lunch. He was halfway up a tall tree - I love my new camera :)


3 comments:

Butterfly said...

Glad to hear it went so well! You always take great photos, and yes those steps are an invitation to explore (that's my view ... did you mean that, or were you being sarcastic?) We love it up there. What was in the geocache (if you're allowed to tell)?

Kez said...

No, I wasn't being sarcastic :) I loved the steps - they looked so mystical.

There was a tiny little ninja figurine in the geocache :) Not sure what they put back in to replace it. I'm very tempted to get into geocaching now - it sounds like so much fun!

jugglingpaynes said...

I'm so happy the hike went well! I actually prefer hiking on overcast days. A little rain makes any streams or waterfalls look so much nicer.

Regarding your comment, I think your son does some really cool activities too. :o)

Peace and Laughter!