Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What a Year!

About this time of year, I start to look ahead and make plans for next year.  An email this week reminded me to also look back and celebrate my successes - something I admit I don't do enough of.

So looking back, this year has been an amazing year for me personally. 

On the writing front:

I entered into the Little Gems and STALI contests, and received some valuable feedback.  I didn't place, but it was huge for me to put my work out there to be judged.

I did several writing courses - Understanding Men, What comes after the first 3 chapters, Creating Memorable Characters and The Plotting Wheel.  I took part more regularly in our local RWA writer's group and have made some good friends in it.

I reached my goal of 25,000 words while participating in 50K in 30 days, went to my first RWA conference and came back so energised and recharged.  I changed from trying to write category to writing women's fiction and found 2 wonderful & very valuable critique partners.
 


I also joined the RWA executive committee.


On the health front:

I bought a wii in March (and actually use it lol).  I've lost 7 kg since March and am probably the fittest I've ever been in my life (not that that is saying a lot - I've never been very fit so I still have quite a way to go before you could call me fit!).  (I'm conveniently ignoring the couple of kgs I'm sure I've put back on over Xmas!)

In April I started Defendo Close Quarters Combat martial arts,


and in Sept had my first grading up to Yellow belt.  Defendo really pushes me out of my comfort zone - not just physically but mentally as well.


I'm also still doing Body Balance most weeks which improves my flexibility and core strength.

I also:

* had a trip to the US and met Suji!


* made time to meet up with friends and family,
* created a better work / life balance and was less stressed,
* and went to see various shows - Tim Minchin, Faustus, Much Ado About Nothing, Julius Caesar



1 comment:

Libby said...

It certainly has been a wonderful year for you and you've accomplished A LOT!!! You should be very proud and very pleased with yourself. Can't wait to see what you accomplish in 2012.