Sunday, June 12, 2011

Further than I've gone before...

Yesterday I passed 7000 words in my wip (work-in-progress) - in fact I passed 8000 words.  Still a long way short of the 55,000 needed for the category romance line I'm targeting.  But it was a personal milestone for me. 

I've started writing a few books since I made the decision twelve months ago to get out there and write, and stop waiting for 'someday'.  I started with a kid's book - that didn't get very far at all, but I still like the idea I have for it.  I started a women's fiction - I got to just under 7000 words in that one before life stepped in and I couldn't keep up the momentum. I've also written and edited a 3,000 word short story that I entered into a competition, and a few shorter pieces of flash fiction (< 1000 words).

So to get past 7000 words is exciting for me!  If (I should say WHEN!) I achieve the 25,000 words I've set as my goal for 50Kin30days, you'll hear me celebrating over in the US :) 

I write very bare bones - just dialogue and a bit of action - and have to go back in and add description and details later. It's something I'm working on.  So once I take those 25K words and flesh them out, I should be somewhere near the 55K.  At that point, I can proudly claim to have written a book!!

Still a long way to go, but baby steps, right?!

2 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

I don't care how bare bones it is, you have 8000 words! I am so impressed! Keep it up, you are doing great!

(And now I will slink away and fiddle with my comic. Some day...)

Peace and Laughter!
Cristina

Melissa said...

Yep, the only way a book gets written is by sitting down and writing it! That's excellent. I've got three children's books in my head right now, not to mention a poem or two and I haven't yet put pen to paper. So you're doing better than me...just keep going...