Friday, November 16, 2007

Noisy Day..

Firstly thanks to all who enquired how I was doing and whether Pete got back ok. Yes he did, and we're all fine, just busy! He seemed to enjoy his trip, but is suffering pretty badly from jetlag.. I'll put some photos up when I get a chance.

Today was a very noisy day, and my ears are still hurting :( Firstly we went to swimming which is at an indoor pool. Several younger kids who have just started lessons protested loudly at the indignity (ie they screamed the whole way through the lesson!), and then after Billy's lesson, the aqua aerobics starts in the other pool . So there were kids screaming & yelling, plus loud music, all echoing in an enclosed space.. Not great!

After the lesson and a play, we went out to lunch at a local club with some ladies I know online from our Freecycle group. I struggle in a group - I find it hard to hear everyone especially with multiple conversations happening in a noisy restaurant. I don't think I have a hearing problem, I think it's just that I'm not used to being in groups much any more.

Then after we left there we went over to the local shopping centre to get some socks & thongs for Billy (I swear I don't know how he goes through socks like he does!). It was loud, crowded and was about the final straw for me!! It's good to be back home!!

Yesterday was a busy day with a trip to Newcastle - chiro visit (my back wasn't as bad as it usually is so staying off the computer is having a positive effect!), meeting with a client, meeting with my course teacher and a bit of shopping. The meeting with my course teacher went well - she marked me off as competent for the whole Cert IV which means I've really finished!!!! It's not official I guess until I get the piece of paper but it means I don't need to worry about it anymore.

I had a positive experience with a salesman which restored my faith in human nature! I forgot to charge my phone the night before and it was starting to beep with a low battery warning. I went into the Telstra shop to see if I could buy a car charger - he didn't have one for my model, but when he found out why I wanted it, he offered to charge the phone for me with a normal charger while I went to the chiro. Very nice of him. It was particularly timely since we've been having a bit of trouble with a new Freecycle member for a couple of days, with yet another abusive message that morning. It was good to remember that not everyone is like that!

The shopping was a bit of a worry - I seem to be in a spending mood atm. Letting me loose in Officeworks in that mood is a bit dangerous :) I was buying bits & pieces for "school" - scissors, sticky tape, cardboard etc... $100 later :(

Speaking of which - homeschool is going well - will update in a separate post.

4 comments:

Kin said...

Ugh I hate noise! That's actually one thing I'm dreading about moving back to the city. Sure we're a few hundred metres from a main road here, but I honestly can't hear it 90% of the time. And the only time I hear the pub nearby is when they have an outdoor event like the rodeo etc.

Ah well, something else to look forward to. Can't wait to hear about the homeschooling as well!

Lis said...

Officeworks is indeed dangerous! Glad to hear you have finished your studies :) Well done to you! Bet that is a huge relief.

lightening said...

Put me anywhere near stationery and I'd be much the same! :-) Homeschooling gives you a reason to stationery shop....hmmm....sounding mighty tempting. LOL.

emma.jean said...

Hi Kez,

Congratulations on the Cert IV! I can relate to the noise / crowds thing too, I also find background noise distracting, I try to concentrate on the conversation I'm having but I find it really difficult.

Sorry to hear about the Freecycle problem. Looking forward to hearing about homeschooling.