Thursday, April 24, 2008

Flat Travellers



We're just about to join in with homeschoolers around the world as part of the Flat Travellers project.

It's based on a book called "Flat Stanley" written by Jeff Brown about a boy who is squashed flat by a bulletin board and is able to travel the world in an envelope.

You make your own "flat traveller" (or multiple) either as a photo, drawing or picture, laminate it and then swap with other homeschool families around the world. While your traveller is away, the host family fills in a journal of things they do, and shares information about their family and area.

It looks like a great way of learning about other countries and how people live. We're learning already - our first swap is with a family from Minnesota - and apologies to my US readers, but until today I had no idea where Minnesota was!

I'm really looking forward to participating in this!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kez,
I have heard about this. Please keep up posted on how it goes. I have done the shoebox swap, but that can be expensive especially when you have a failed swap.
All the best,
Kym
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/oddlysane/

Kez said...

Will do Kym. Thanks for dropping by. I'm off to check out your blog now!

Laurie said...

Kez, we'd love to get involved too. Would you post a link for how to sign up? You can also email it to unschoolingblogger at charter.net

Thanks! CUTE pics too! :)

We read Flat Stanley when Matthew was 5 and Rose 3...one day, I dropped books off at the library overnight drop slot. When I returned to the car (they couldn't see what I was doing), Matthew said to Rose, "I wonder how she got the books in there if they're closed." They were really quiet for a few minutes contemplating it. I then told them, with a big grin on my face, that I squished myself REEEEEALLY flat and slid under the door like Flat Stanley. I had no idea he believed me!! Several months later, he saw me put them in the drop slot and yelled at me for "lying" to him. He apparently thought his mom was a super Changeling like Odo from Star Trek! LOL That must have been harder on him than hearing about that guy in the red suit. ;)

Kez said...

Laurie - the link to the Yahoo group for homeschoolers is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flat_travelers_homeschool.

lol at your story!! Too cute :)