Saturday, September 18, 2010

Drained..

that's just how I feel right now.  Completely wrung out, drained of emotion and energy.

The funeral was yesterday.  It was a full Catholic Mass, as was her wish, conducted by a priest who has known the family for about 30 years.  I managed to get through a reading with a minimum of tears and wobbly voice (I wasn't quite so composed once I got back to my seat though!), two of my brothers-in-law did a wonderful eulogy.  The wake was catered for by friends of my sister-in-law and was very lovely.  About 250 people turned up at the church to celebrate her life, and the chatting & remembering lasted many hours.

Pete had to leave for a trip to Sydney last night, so Billy & I stayed over at my parent's house.  It was wonderful to just have some pampering for a night, and a distraction for Billy.

We're all ok - getting there anyway.  We've had a lot of tears this week, lots of cuddles, lots of questions with few answers..  I feel like I've been twisted and turned until every last drop of emotion has been wrung out of me.  I've been sitting in the sun for the last few hours, just reading a book and trying to recharge.  I wish I could do it for a few days..

Thank you for everyone's support and well wishes.  They've meant so much to us.

7 comments:

Rynalee said...

Oh Kerry, I feel your pain, and yet don't fully know how it is for you. Just know you are loved, and ((hugs)) to you and your family!

DeclutterLady said...

Funerals can be exhausting - sorry for your loss.

Korina said...

((Hugs))

jugglingpaynes said...

More hugs for you and prayers for your family. It is so natural to feel drained after a loss. Take a few more days and don't worry about falling behind a bit. Honor your need for rest.

Peace and Healing,
Cristina

Catherine said...

Kerry my deepest sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your mother in law - she sounds like a lovely lady and I am glad you have such fond memories of her. I lost my own mother in March at age 94 after a long slow slide into dementia. That's somehow easier than your m-i-l's situation, from healthy to aggressive tumour in 11 weeks. I know how cathartic the full RC funeral ritual and wake can be, I wrote a post on it back in March. Then we had a Month's Mind Mass, and there will be anniversary Mass in March. It all helps with the grieving and is so important.
Hope you will all slowly come to terms with things in time.
Love Catherine.

Lightening said...

{{{HUGS}}} Kez. Sorry I haven't been around recently. :( I hope you can get some rest and give your body (and mind/emotions) time to recover.

Tricia said...

I've only just seen this. I'm so sorry for your loss, Kerry. You, Pete and Billy with be in my thoughts and prayers over the coming weeks. Take care.