Thursday, October 01, 2009

Book #7 - 1984 by George Orwell

1984

This has taken me all month to read. I'd pick it up, read a chapter, get too depressed and put it down again. I cannot believe they made us read this in high school! Yes it's a classic, and in some ways I love it, but geez it's depressing :(

I'm sure most people are familiar with the story line - the year is 1984 and everything is controlled by the government. Everything you say and do is watched by telescreens. Records of the past are constantly changed to bring it into line with the current reality. Children are turned against their parents, no one has friends or lovers. Winston Smith (the hero) commits the crime of taking a lover and thinking thoughts against Big Brother. He's captured, tortured and left a broken shell of a man.

As I said, it's really depressing.. I think I need to read something a lot lighter now!!

3 comments:

belinda said...

Yeah,

Particularly in light of the current political conditions in much of the world I can understand the depression.

I wonder what would happen if you were to hand a copy of it to every reality television contestant. Would they still feel so happy about handing their privacy to a corporation?

Kind Regards
Belinda

jugglingpaynes said...

I commend you for getting through it. Animal Farm was heavy enough for me and I somehow managed to avoid reading 1984 in high school. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is probably a very good reason why there is a high rate of depression among teens.

Someday I'll read 1984. I don't think I'm ready for it yet!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Wendy said...

The fact that you read it is something. I've never read it, and probably "ought to" give it a go. Hold on. I'm putting it on my library list.

There. I will now suffer, as you have suffered.