Sunday, December 07, 2008

And the invention of the year goes to - the seam ripper!

I'm exhausted! I spent this weekend sewing - and since I'm not much of a sewer it was hard work! Most of the things I made are presents for various nieces & nephews for Xmas - and since I know a couple of my SILs read this blog at times - I'll save unveiling them until after we have our Xmas celebrations. I got 4 presents made, and while I can see the flaws, on the whole I'm pretty happy with them. How "homemade" will be received is another matter though..

While I was in the sewing spirit, I also replaced the too small elastic in a pair of Billy's pj pants, and made him a pair of shorts using Stefani's Bandanna pants tutorial using some cute pirate fabric I picked up at Spotlight. Due to failing to understand a vital part of the instructions in one of the first steps, I made them up, all the time thinking "these just don't look right"... Tried them on him, nope they didn't fit right.. Went back and studied the instructions again, realised what I'd done wrong - and then had to completely dismantle the pants and sew them up again - the *right* way!

In the end they looked pretty good though and I am stoked with myself! That's the first item of clothing I've sewn *all by myself*! B is still wearing them around several hours later, so they can't be too bad!! (Note to self - next time make them a bit longer from top to crotch, these ones sit about the hips)

5 comments:

Minni Mum said...

Oh well done Kez! I've had the bandana pants bookmarked for months to sew my girls for summer but just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the nudge, now I have to go and find some bandanas! Where did you get yours?

The Tin House said...

Hooray for the homemade pirate pants! Lisa x

Anonymous said...

So good!!! I cannot sew at all!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your sewing achievement Kerry xx Linda

jugglingpaynes said...

LOL! I had to laugh at your title. I got very familiar with my seam ripper this past week!

The pants came out great!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina