Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Ruptured eardrum :(

Billy has been running a temp for a few days and was complaining for a few days about having a sore cheek but I assumed if anything that it was teeth. The day after his party he woke up with blood on his pillow and all around his ear - I cleaned it up and kept an eye on it through the day - no more so I assumed he'd just scratched it through the night. (Lot of assuming here, huh?!)

Anyway 11pm last night I went in to him and there was more blood on the pillow. I rang the After Hours clinic and after lots of questions they said it sounded like a ruptured ear drum from the infection. They said I should get it seen to - so up we traipse to the hospital at 11:30pm. Of course they'd just had a couple of emergencies come in(including a woman the cops picked up for paint sniffing!) so it was 30 mins before we were even triaged and then 2am before we were seen :( The late night quiz show that was on the tv in the waiting room was very painful!!!

Diagnosis was a ruptured ear drum - he gave us some antibiotics (Amoxycillin) and off we went to try and get some sleep. The dr did say he must've had a good pain threshold to not be more in pain!

It's a battle to get him to take the antibiotics (they do smell quite foul!) - I'm not looking forward to doing it for a week :( We have an appt at the drs on Friday to get it checked again. He doesn't seem to be in huge amounts of pain - still running a temp and gets a bit whingy at times but is quite chirpy the rest of the time. As Em said "After 4 years they still find ways to scare the hell out of us!"

Oh and did I mention that Pete is in Sydney for work this week so I'm on my own??!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kez, It's Trish. That woman that got taken in for sniffing paint, I heard about her on the scanner...she'd also been talking to garbage bins!

Hope Billy is feeling better soon. And, yes. those antibiotics smell baaaaaaaaad.

cya.