February has involved many days out:
|An excursion to Tocal Homestead - learning about Australian history|
|A local art show|
|Homeschooler's swimming carnival|
|'Nerf' war day with the homeschoolers|
Cubs has provided plenty of fun and learning opportunities:
|Making chariots with lashing and trying them out|
|Learning how to roll and break the flag correctly|
Weekly activities are back into full swing - dragons martial arts, archery and drama. He's moved up to the Yr 5/6 drama class and is absolutely loving it. He loves the teacher, loves what they're doing and has friends in the class.
We're focusing on a few areas this year as far as 'intentional learning' goes:
- Watched the complete My Place series 1, and several episodes so far of series 2.
- Reading the book of My Place by Nadia Wheatley.
- The visit (mentioned above) to Tocal Homestead
- Billy's been continuing to create plugins for Minecraft using Java. He's been modifying one of his old ones with my help (I have to learn it as I go!), and has created a new one entirely on his own.
- He's been using Corel Video Studio to create video intros for the start of the tutorials etc he creates and puts on YouTube.
- He's been researching how to create apps for an Android phone.
- Practising maths facts using Timez Attack
- Watching Cyberchase for maths concepts
- Discussions about pi, fibonacci numbers
- AND/OR logic gates
- Watched a Bill Nye video about Atoms
- The Jungle book
- Deltora Quest book 6 and 7 by Emily Rodda
- Toad Surprise by Morris Gleitzmann