Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Book #1 - To Kill a Mockingbird


"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee was the novel I chose to start reawakening my brain with. It's set in 1936 in Alabama and is the story of the attitudes and prejudices of the time told through the eyes of 2 children, Jem & Scout. They are the son & daughter of lawyer Atticus Finch who is representing a negro man charged with the rape of a white woman.

I first read this book in high school - probably around age 16 or 17. We must've studied it in class, because I clearly remember writing profiles on some of the characters. Even though I'd forgotten a lot of the details of the plot, I remember loving the book and have obviously picked it up at a second hand shop somewhere over the years.

20+ years later and I understood so much more of the story. I guess having more life experience I could relate more to some of the characters and knew more background history. It's stood the test of time - I really enjoyed it again.

I've also been watching:

* TED lecture - Hector Ruiz - CEO of AMD
* TED lecture - Carl Honore - talking about his book In Praise of Slow
* The Teaching Company's Big History course - first 2 lectures (of 48). This one is really stretching my brain!

7 comments:

Katy said...

Thank you so much for reminding me about this book! I also read it in high school, and didn't quite "get" it, but remember getting emotional about it. Definitely time to give it another go.

Dana said...

I enjoyed that book many years ago too! When you are done reading (which it sounds like you are) Gregory Peck starred in a movie of the same title.

Our family loves documentaries like the Big Bang one you mentioned in your post. It's a good reminder to us also that we are so small in this vast universe!

Kez said...

Let me know what you think about it Katy!

Thanks Dana - I'd forgotten about the movie. I've just checked and our library has a copy so I'll borrow it.

greenfumb said...

Without doubt my favourite book of all time and I loved the movie and the stage play as well.

I was about 14 when I first read it and I think I always identified with Scout.

Kez said...

Greenfumb - I was always a tomboy too (still am I guess!), so yes, I identify so much with Scout too!

Amy said...

I LOVE this book! I have read it numerous times, and I think you're right with regards to adult perspective on that one.

Anonymous said...

I read this one in high school too. It must be a standard on the school curriculum.

I remember feeling emotional about the events in the book but I think it would have more meaning to me now that I have more life experience. Might be time to pick it up again.